Provigil is a drug that will helpyou overcome sudden attacks of uncontrollable sleepiness during the day. This drug helps staying alert and energetic throughout the day. Currently, Provigil is the most effective medication for alleviating narcolepsy symptoms. Provigil analeptic contains the new-generation stimulant Modafinil, which was especially developed for the treatment of narcolepsy.
Provigil (Modafinil) activates the parts of the brain and nervous system that promote wakefulness and good mood. Provigil should be taken to help patients with narcolepsy:
- Avoid accidental injuries and falls resulting from sudden loss of consciousness.
- Prevent drowsiness while driving or operating machinery.
- Reduce the risk of total or partial loss of muscle tone due to hypersomnia.
In contrast to amphetamine-like stimulants, Provigil analeptic has little effect on the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). Therefore, it does not cause euphoria, mood swings or drug dependence.
Indications for Provigil use include:
- narcolepsy or hypersomnia;
- obstructive sleep apnea (OSA);
- sleep disorders due of shift work schedules.
A dose of 200 mg Provigil taken in the morning will be sufficient to prevent sudden sleep attacks during the day. Although high doses of this analeptic are well tolerated, there is no information on any advantages of Provigil use at a dose of 400 mg, compared to lower doses.
Physiological causes of excessive sleepiness are still unknown. This analeptic is not capable to completely rid a person of this neurological disorder. Provigil can only be usedfor the symptomatic narcolepsy treatment.
Narcolepsy may be associated with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) - periodic breathing interruptions during sleep. Provigil is used for eliminating the symptoms of OSA only in conjunction with a CPAP-therapy. This is a method of air injection into the airway, carried out using special medical devices.
Provigil will help you cope with increased sleepiness, if you are experiencing problems with the "sleep-wake" cycle with shift working schedule. Take 200 mg of Provigil approximately one hour before the beginning of the work shift. Analeptic action maintains clarity of thought during the long-termlack of sleep.
The advantages of using Provigil to eliminate problems, caused by sleep disorders:
- it has no effect on the course of the night's sleep;
- gently removes fatigue, drowsiness and other narcolepsy symptoms;
- does not cause addiction and side effects, characteristic of other stimulants (nervousness, overexcitement, etc.);
- issafe in overdose, is not conducive to withdrawal syndrome in abrupt drug discontinuation.
Provigil may be prescribed to patients above 18 years of age, who are experiencing symptoms of excessive sleepiness. The only contraindication to the use of this analeptic is hypersensitivity to its active ingredient Modafinil.
Besides getting rid of excessive sleepiness, some patients use analeptic for other purposes (off-label). Additional indications for Provigil use, which are not included in the instructions to the drug:
- obesity treatment;
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD);
- improving memory, concentration.
Some health care professionals recognize that Provigil tends to suppress appetite to some extent and improves cognitive function. But to date, there is not enough clinical studies that would conclusively prove the effectiveness of this analeptic for the treatment of obesity and brain function improvement.